Edwardian/Teens · Finished! · Pattern · Petticoats · Underpinnings

A Basic Edwardian Petticoat

Well, I’ve finally finished the petticoat for the Titanic tea next month! It’s made out of pima cotton and I used Folkwear #203 as the pattern. I’ll write a pattern review on this eventually (I’m thinking that after I get my whole set of Edwardian underthings done, I’ll write pattern reviews for everything and then link to them), but overall, I really liked this pattern. The pieces went together very easily, which was great since this is the first gored skirt pattern I’ve ever used.

The only thing that I could not figure out was the placket in the back, as the directions (at least for me) were super confusing. So, I just improvised and used some of the bias tape that I used for the drawstring waistband on the placket.

The ruffle was definitely the most labor-intensive part, and I think that if I ever make another of these petticoats again (which probably won’t be for a while. Luckily, the 1910s aren’t like the 1850s and you only need one petticoat), I’ll use a lighter fabric. The pima cotton was a bit too heavy when it came to trying to do the gathering for the ruffling. I may also add some lace, either over the gathering of the ruffle or along the hem edge, but the lace I have right now is either the wrong color, being used for something else, or there’s not enough of it.

Finally, I’ve decided on my dress for the tea! I spent most of last week stressing about this, debating about whether to do a dress with a chiffon overlay and then panicking about how annoying that would be. So, ultimately, the Lady Mary dress won out. I love its simplistic elegance, and this Laughing Moon Pattern (minus the overlay) is the exact same shape as the dress, which will make things infinitely easier. The only modification I’m making is using a yellow and white striped cotton fabric as opposed to a lavendar and white striped fabric. The best part? I already had the yellow fabric in my stash! The only lavendar and white stripe I was able to find, although gorgeous, was way more than I wanted to pay at $16 a yard.

The lace applique (which I actually have 3 of) was a lucky find at the Sewing Expo, and I think that I’ll do a v-neck in the back for this dress and then use the applique to embellish that.

Anyways, despite the initial confusion and differences in construction from what I’m used to, I’m really digging Edwardian and teens fashions. Now to decide whether to do combination undies (like this), or a separate chemise and drawers. Hmm . . .

Advertisements

4 thoughts on “A Basic Edwardian Petticoat

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s